Sunday, April 12, 2015

Literary Analysis #1 for 2nd semester Great Expectations


1. Pip  was orphaned at a very young age and had to live with his sister and her husband. One day after he goes to visit his parents an criminal surprises him and make Pip steal from the house food and a file. Eventually the convict is captured but doesn't rat out Pip. Afterwards Pip is taken to Miss Havisham's house by his uncle Pumblechook and he meets a girl that he falls in love with even though she treats him bad. Miss Havisham is a a weird and almost witch type character that wears an old wedding gown and has he clocks all set up at the same time.......
2. Throughout the story you could tell that Pip really wanted to do what would be best fo rhimself and even though his motif was to become a rich gentlemen to win over Estella, he was working on improving himself and always seeked guidance from those around him and tried to rap his head around what type of person they are and what type of person he wants to be.
3. He seems to have a triumphant and understanding tone in voice.

  • “Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape.”
  • “We need never be ashamed of our tears.” 
  • “There was a long hard time when I kept far from me the remembrance of what I had thrown away when I was quite ignorant of its worth.”
4.
  •  “In a word, I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right, as I had been too cowardly to avoid doing what I knew to be wrong.” - simile
  • “I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.”- pathos
  • “So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.” - irony
  • “Ask no questions, and you'll be told no lies.”- aphorism
  • Pip and Estella ended up together in the end. -resolution
  • Magwitch and Joe would be an example of- foil
  • "In the little world in which children have their existence, whosoever brings them up, there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt as injustice.” - figurative language
  • “So, I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.” -incongruity
  • “All other swindlers upon earth are nothing to the self-swindlers, and with such pretences did I cheat myself.”- Hyperbole
  • “So new to him," she muttered, "so old to me; so strange to him, so familiar to me; so melancholy to both of us!...” -tone
Characterization                                                 

1. Indirect: "I wished Joe had been rather more genteelly brought up, and then I should have been so too"."I took the opportunity of being alone in the court-yard, to look at my coarse hands and my common boots." 
Direct: A young orphan boy being raised by his sister and brother-in-law in. He is also a romantic, passionate, and ambitious. Pip is very impressionable and seems to care about appearances.
2. He does but to show the amount of education and what type of class they are in. For example Magwitch and Miss Havisham.
3. Pip is a dynamic round character because he does overcome an important change and grows into a different person as time passes by even though it takes time to finally have a change in mindset.
4. I feel I met a character because Pip could literally be a portrayal of today's youth and the journey that it is to try to find yourself.  “Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape.”

No comments:

Post a Comment