Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Literary Analysis #2

1) It begins with the only surviving sister reflecting on the past because there is an interviewer asking her questions of their life. Through  the book the sisters continue to tell the story of how they were able to get rid of their corrupt government system, and adding their own perspective. Patria, Dede, Minerva, and Maria Teresa (Mate)went to a Catholic all girls school, but Minerva was the one who became the first political because she met a girl named Sinita who apparently had lost a lot of her loved ones because of the Dominican dictator Trujillo. Since then Minerva began fighting against injustice and became the face of the revolution. The youngest daughter entered the cause after seeing her future husband. Then Patria entered after experiencing something horrific and decided to fight for her brothers and sisters( the people). Dede mostly maintained her distance because her husband Jaimito wouldn't let her join her sisters. Eventually they get caught so Minerva, Manolo ( her husband), Mate, Pedrito (Patria's husband), and Leandro (Mate's husband) all go to jail. The girls are there for about 9 months but come out changed.The sister's continue to visit their husbands in jail and after a visit they are ambushed and killed. Dede remains and takes care of their kids.

2) I would say that the theme was to just stand up for whats right to the bitter end, even if your a woman because they are a lot stronger than what they seem, especially if they are as courageous and intelligent as Minerva. There is something else that can be a theme for  example throughout the book people would think of Trujillo as a God, even though he was an abusive, corrupt, and perverted man.

3)  The author seem to speak of the girls as an admirer of their actions yet a little sad for how they are going to end up.

  •  "Voz del pueblo, voz del cielo." - means "Voice of the people, voice of heaven" 
  • "And that's how I got free. I don't mean just going to sleepaway school on a train with a trunkful of new things. I mean in my head after I got to Inmaculada and met Sinita and saw what happened to Lina and realized that I'd just left a small cage to go into a bigger one, the size of our whole country."
  • "A chill goes through her, for she feels it in her bones, the future is now beginning. By the time it is over, it will be the past, and she doesn't want to be the only one left to tell their story."
4)  1. Foreshadowing: In the beginning the father said that, Dede will bury them "in silk and pearls". pg. 8
2.  Symbolism: The mariposas were the symbols of the revolution and freedom.
3. Diction: It used spanish words also to draw in more of their actual culture, and to remind the reader of the setting.
4. Bandwagon: Minerva was a very persuasive activist and was able to get most of her sister to help in the cause against Trujillo, especially Maria Theresa.
5. Flashback: Dede is the one in present time since she is the only one that survived so she flashes back to the point where the whole story began and that's how the story begins.
6. Imagery: Minerva was really good at describing how things trully were in the government and was able to open peoples eyes to Trujillo's corruption.
7. Syntax: I really liked how the author did the structure of this book it isn't like other books but the way that its structured gives you hints of how the book is going to end but you don't truly know so the curiosity gets to you.
8. Allusion: "Las Mariposas" was an allusion to the Mirabal sisters.
9. Degradation: " If they had only known how frail was their iron-will heroine. How much it took to put on that hardest of all performances, being my old self again."
10. Hyperbole: "That room was silent with the fury of avenging angels sharpening their radiance before they strike."

Characterization:
1. 2 examples of direct characterization would be like, " I guess after three months of addressing him, I was sure I’d feel a certain kinship with the stocky, overdressed man before me." and,"There were hundreds of us, the women all together, in white dresses like we were his brides, with white gloves and any kind of hat we wanted"
2 examples of indirect characterization would be like, "I opened a cage to set a half-grown doe free. I even gave her a slap to get her going. But she wouldn't budge! She was used to her little pen. I kept slapping her, harder each time, until she started whimpering like a scared child. I was the one hurting her, insisting she be free. Silly bunny, I thought. You’re nothing at all like me." and “I’d sooner jump out that window than be forced to do something against my honor.”
2. His diction does change for example since Maria Theresa is speaking his words embody the voice of a 7 year old little girl because it wouldn't make sense if she sounded really sophisticated it wouldn't make sense, so he makes her vocabulary sound like a little girls. His syntax usually starts from the beginning then goes back to a certain point then works its way up, he breaks it up into like three sections and does the same for all three sections.
3. The real protagonist of this story I would have to say is Minerva and I would say she is a dynamic round character because you do get to see her grow as a person but so do her ideas so does her understanding of the world, and near the end of the book she's even questioning herself and her own strength, yet has enough to continue going because she knows that she's gone too far and she's going to finish it, even if its the last thing she does.
4.  I feel like a read a character, I wish I could meet a person as brave as this but it seems to me that these type of great people only are in books even if they are in history books. Its just hard for me to believe that there is people like this, yet I know that there is people like this. It's just that I guess I've never met one so it's hard for me to believe in a person so great as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment